Monday, November 24, 2008

Solitude

Was it so wrong to have really enjoyed myself last weekend?  Shawn did me a HUGE favor and took the kids to his parents' house, giving me some time all to myself for a couple of days.  (Yes, I have a good husband.)  I've never spent a night away from John Michael, so that also means I've never had night of totally uninterrupted sleep in at least thirteen months.  

So how did I spend my time alone?  Well, I slept until 8:30. . . that's when my dogs woke me up to let them outside.  I took an undisturbed bath in the middle of the day.  I went to the movies and devoured nearly an entire bag of popcorn all by myself.  I laid in the bed and watched television without any feelings of guilt.  I didn't have to pick up the first toy, or clean one dish the entire weekend.  Basically, I was a total bum.

But it can't go without saying that I did miss my husband and children.  I called them several times throughout the forty-eight hours I had to myself.  When I woke up Sunday morning, I felt that twinge of emptiness that's only felt when I'm missing my loved ones - like a subtle aching in my chest that throbs less subtly the longer they've been away.  So, I welcomed them home with open arms and a clear head - the latter of which did not last very long upon their return!  :)

No comments: